Sunday, January 24, 2010

Can Ya Eat Bluebonnets? longhorn cow bluebonnet oil painting

5 X 7 Oil on Canvas Panel $115
SOLD to a collector in Florida

It's spring and the cows are hungry after a long winter (I'm pretending, all right!?). I've never seen them eat bluebonnets, but they must, because the flowers rarely thrive in pastures with cows in them. So the answer is YES!

For over 10 years we've had bluebonnets growing down our driveway that bisects the pasture. The grassy area on both sides are solid flowers in some areas, and I can see tiny little plantlets emerging all winter - and in the pasture on the other side of the fence, too. But they never blossom there - so either they get trampled or eaten, and I suspect the latter.

I know many flowers are edible for humans - I have personally eaten nasturtiums, violas and pansies. I cannot, however, find bluebonnets (lupines) on a list. Although I have been known to sample wild things and pray for the best, I think I'll pass the bluebonnets....
Mark 1:6
John wore clothing made of camel's hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey.
Media: oil on canvas panel
Size: 7 in X 5 in (17.8 cm X 12.7 cm)
Price: $115 USD

How to Purchase:

Buy this painting on PayPal
Price: $115 USD
Or, send me an email

1 comment:

Judith A. Johnson said...

If bluebonnets are lupine I know they are poisonous to horses, that's up here in Michigan. Those beautiful Texas bluebonnets may be a different story.
NIce colorful painting- we are a long way from spring and it cheered me.