Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Sentinel - Eleven Mile Campground near Lake George, landscape oil painting


The Sentinel
8 X 10 Oil on stretched canvas $150
Includes shipping and insurance in US
It is still over 100 degrees back home, but here at Eleven Mile Campground at about 8700 feet, it’s been in the 40’s when we wake at dawn, and it only climbs to 80 during the day (The locals are complaining this is a HOT summer!) We have very limited phone service and NO internet. To connect with the rest of the world, we have to travel eleven miles to the closest town – Lake George – and use their tiny library’s wi-fi.
The fishing around the lake shore has not been good this year. This is our 4th trip here and our most disappointing. We DID hire Larry-the-Guide again, though, to take us trolling on the lake in the deep water, and as usual we caught our limit. This year Mike out-fished me by nearly three to one AND caught the biggest fish. After we filled the live well with our legal 8 fish, we played “catch and release’ for another 2 hours – hoping to add some salmon to the freezer. Mike caught several more trout (including 2 small Cutthroats) but no salmon.
A million salmon are released into the lake yearly, but they are a tricky fish to catch. Larry thinks they are succumbing to a gill parasite and not surviving, but no one knows. There’s Northern Pike in the lake, too. We caught one last year and it was delicious, but we didn’t luck into any this year. All the fish we kept  are what’s known as “Cut-Bow” – a cross between the Rainbow and Cutthroat trout. The flesh is a rich pink, salmon color and very good to eat. I ate a whole one for lunch and I may do the same for several days…and yes, Mimi and Grandma, I have saved you each a fish in the freezer!
One of the good things about this trip is the down time – with no outside interruptions, I have actually had time to paint – both the local scenery and my horses. Texas may be fried when we return (THANK YOU FAMILY AND NEIGHBORS for taking care of things!!!!), at least this moment I can be in my “happy place”!
This painting is a view from one of the campsites here – there aren’t many trees close to the lake, but those that are here are tough survivors and all have interesting feature.

Psalm 3:5
I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.
Buy this painting on PayPal
Price: $150 USD
Or, send me an email
 I accept checks and Paypal. I can also arrange LAYAWAY. To view my latest paintings on Daily Painters go HERE. To view larger paintings, go to my Website HERE. To view a wealth of OTHER Texas Artists, enjoy THIS site!

No comments: