Thursday, November 19, 2009

Afternoon Dandy

not available
Lately I have been working on large canvases and have gotten away from the little 'uns. But Dandy was SO pretty in the afternoon sun today, that I just couldn't resist her. We have had a couple light frosts and the pasture grasses are all different, brilliant colors. Dandy has begun to put on her winter coat, and is a rich, dark purpley, brown, black color that is nearly impossible to describe (or paint).
She isn't as big as I would have expected at 18 months, but she is still growing. My best guess is 13 1/2 hands (about 54 inches at the withers, for you non-horsey people). Momma PJ is right at 15 hands (60") and had nearly reached that height by the time she was 18 months. BUT I figure, if she stays short, then that just puts the ground closer and offers less gravity influence on my old bones...
I have an old light barrel racing saddle that I plan to place on her back soon. I promise a video of that event. I really don't expect a rodeo, but with horses, you can always expect the unexpected, so she might surprise us. I really think that she will simply turn around, look at it and give me her "Oh, well, what next?" look.
Stay tuned....
Genesis 1:25
God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love this painting. Could be because of the lovely combination of colors in it, but also attracted to the peacefulness of this scene. It is so nice to spend some time with a munching horse in the sunlight. Thank you for sharing it online where I can enjoy it.