Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Spanish Peak at Bear Lake, Cuchara, Colorado


Spanish Peak at Bear Lake, Cuchara, Colorado
8X10 Oil on Stretched Canvas $125
Includes Shipping and Insurance
Our second stop on this summer’s trip was Bear Lake near Cuchara, Colorado, and this view is from the top of the “saddle” overlooking one of the Spanish Peaks and the town of Cuchara.
I am not sure how high this trail takes you, but it overlooks the campground on one side and the town of Cuchara on the other.
This year, we saw a newly killed deer carcass with a bear feeding on it about 100 yards up the trail. The scene was visible from camp, with the deer actually about 50 feet off to the side of the trail. The bear was very spooky and easily scared away, but we heard there was another bear contesting the first one for the prize, so when we traveled the trail, Mike and I both carried our guns.
The bears are no longer “friendly” due to strict enforcement of “no feeding” and the locking up of all food and ice chests. I also think that “nuisance bears” are routinely shot with rubber bullets by forest service personnel to ensure that they fear people and keep their distance. This is a good thing…I would not, however, camp in a tent up there, as many still do. Every year we hear of bears tearing into tents – often with unhappy consequences.
Luke 18:13
“But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

If you are interested in this painting, click here to send me an email. I accept checks and Paypal. I can also arrange LAYAWAY. To view my latest paintings on Daily Painters go HERE. To view larger paintings, go to my Website HERE. To view a wealth of OTHER Texas Artists, enjoy THIS site!

No comments: