Saturday, April 25, 2009

Eat Crow

6 X 8 Experiment
Oil on Masonite and cold pressed water color paper

First image no longer exists
Still in progress

nodp
Somehow I hurt my back yesterday. I'm better today, but my brain just couldn't seem to focus on painting (nice drugs do that to brains, you know). I remembered my mom told me to "paint birds" and I came across this photo of a crow on our front fence. Even a bad painting is better than no painting, so I painted - and hated the results. Rather than wait for it to dry and "fix" it, I started to wipe it off. As I reached for a rag, I bumped the easel and the painting tumbled to the floor below. And just like peanut butter on bread, it landed face down. Needless to say, I was only upset because of the mess on the floor, not for "ruining " the image. I returned it to the easel and as I picked the dog fur off of it, I thought "Wait. There is so much paint on this board, I wonder if I could lay a piece of water color paper on it and get a print...."
So I cut a piece of cold press paper 2" wider than the board, laid it on the painting and used my print roller to mush it flat. Both the paper and the board turned out much more interesting than the original. I have plans to try another.....And, no, I will NOT use this as an excuse to take more drugs while I paint.....
Proverbs 30:8
Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread.

1 comment:

naquaiya said...

Debbie, I loved your story. The print from the oil is fascinating. Who knows, this could be the start of something really big.