Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ma and Pa Cattle - Joined at the Hip

8 X 10 Oil on Canvas Board $125
Includes Shipping and Insurance
These two are a part of my neighbor's herd. John has a nice bunch of Angus cows that he bought as heifers last summer. They should be delivering his first set of calves this spring, and I sure hope he doesn't spend as much time helping heifers as I used to do when we raised Simmentals.
Many a night was spent in the barn waiting for a cow to calve and often having to help pull out a big baby. We had a couple C-Section deliveries, too, so I don't miss those days at all! Mike was working in town back them and since I had a home based business, I was the obvious one to lose sleep watching cows. All but one of John's cows are Angus, though, so I'm betting they'll be just fine. Angus cattle are known to be able to deliver and care for their babies quite well by themselves, thank you.
Acts 9:36
In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (which, when translated, is Dorcas ), who was always doing good and helping the poor.

2 comments:

Rick Nilson said...

I noticed more and more Red angus in pastures across South Dakota. More every year. Is it the same in Texas? BTW I love your cow paintings.

Marilyn M. King said...

It's always enjoyable to see your lovely animal paintings. This city girl can't relate too much to painting animals, but you have really learned how to capture their gestures, action, anatomy and beauty! As a painter, I also admire your lovely brushwork and color.

I was reading about your dog Georgia on an earlier blog. My indoor dog, Shad-O, we suspect has some Border Collie in him too. He owns about 12 squeekey balls that we throw in the house for him. Sometimes he has them all gathered in a pile, all herded together. When we play ball and throw down the hall or through the laundry room into my studio room, the ball will get caught under something and out of reach. He will not continue playing until that ball is found and retrieved by us. He will not let a ball be lost. So I know what you mean about working dogs making up jobs! LOL.