Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Pinon Night Light

8 X 10 Oil on Masonite $125
Includes shipping and insurance
I was told that the pinons are "in" and to watch for vendors on the side of the road as we cross New Mexico. We spotted one outside of Santa Fe, and Mike stopped to stretch his and Georgia's legs, and I went to check out this revered treat. Whew - I was not ready for the price tag! One tiny bag of roasted pinons for $10. The young Indian boy who was selling them assured me that they WERE good and "good for you!" I gave him $10 and will save the treat to share with friends when we get home.
We are in Santa Fe tonight and our campground is surrounded by pinon trees - I went in search of these nuts that are worth their weight in gold. I found the ground under them littered with cones and thousands of nuts - both fresh and old - mostly old - and dried out. I agree that it is a lot of work to gather and roast the small cone's seeds (they are about the size of pine nuts), but I probably won't be buying them again. I'll stick to pecans!
This painting is of a pinon tree I fancied near our camp in Moab. The trees' shapes are widely varied - from stumpy, twisted and stunted to tall, straight and lush.
Psalm 139:23
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
Buy this painting on PayPal
Price: $125 USD
Or, send me an email

1 comment:

Jack Nowicki said...

Nice night painting... I like the direction your work is going. Jack