Friday, August 22, 2008

Following the Heat

30 X 40 Oil on 1 1/2" gallery wrapped canvas
Contact me for availability
Here's the big painting I have been working on all week and it's even more striking in person.
This big ole bull was intent on following a bison cow and had no trouble keeping all the other bulls away from his lady love. He was the biggest and fastest animal in the herd and was totally focused on one thing - following nature's call!
I will keep this painting here for a couple weeks, then ship it off to a gallery where I'm certain it will sell quickly.

Dandy Update:
If you remember, my mare PJ had a foal 4 1/2 months ago. We named her Dandy and she is wonderful. I have been gone for nearly 2 months and when I returned I noticed Dandy standing with her right front foot extended and she walked with a limp. A closer examination showed her hoof angle to be quite vertical and she was also keeping her knee bent - pretty classic signs of contracted tendon.
I called my vet and then my farrier. Buster, the farrier, arrived first and did a spectacular job of trimming her feet, removing quite a bit from her heel, making her hoof angle more normal. This was only the 2nd time Dandy had been haltered, and after a short hissy fit, she did great. I had been picking her feet up regularly before we left on vacation, so Buster had very little trouble from her.
When the vet came out the next day, he declared her looking very well and prescribed regular hoof trimming and said we also need to go ahead and wean her. She is growing very fast (like her dam did) and we need to slow that down and supplement her with minerals. SO today I am going to move PJ to another pasture and leave Dandy and Uncle Easy together. That big gelding thinks she belongs to him anyway, so he'll comfort her few the next few days.
Stay tuned, weaning rarely goes smoothly - but this foal continues to surprise me and she may again here.

Psalm 5:11
But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

No comments: