Monday, June 23, 2008

Coming Up the Hill


6 X 8 Oil on Masonite

Commissioned work Not for Sale

My little walking buddy, Pat, fell off the back end of a horse Saturday and broke her leg. You have to understand that Pat weighs 100 pounds dripping wet and is obsessed with staying fit. She and her husband Ken moved from the Houston area several years ago and embraced our country lifestyle wholeheartedly. They bought a couple good horses and joined our church and got some cows – you get it. Anyway, Pat and 2 other girlfriends were riding a couple horses Saturday (yep – 3 ladies, 2 horses) and typically Pat walked most of the trail taking the opportunity to get in some good exercise. But some long grass convinced her to ride double a short distance behind Barbara. I’m not sure anyone knows exactly what happened, but Pat ended up slipping off the back end and breaking her leg at the top of the foot – both bones when she landed.

She came to church in a wheelchair yesterday and was already talking about when Snoopy, her horse, gets back from a local trainer and she can go riding again.

I know all about getting right back up on the horse. In the 50+ years I have ridden horses I have been injured with broken bones 4 times and skinned up several others, but I have always gotten back up. The alternative is impossible to imagine.

Just like in life, when you get knocked down, you have to get back up again – hopefully learning a lesson in the bruises. I can say that I haven’t been hurt the same way twice – hopefully, I have discovered most of them and am lucky enough to avoid the rest!

This painting is of Pat’s husband’s (Ken’s) horse and I expect a phone call when she sees this! Get well soon, little buddy!

Proverbs 17:22
A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I really like the colors you put in the horse. I'm sure your client is very happy with this.