Sunday, October 24, 2010

Longhorn Steer on a Bone

Image area 1.5 X 2 inches
acrylic on white tail deer bone - contact artist
I have a friend who raises Longhorns and wants me to paint a portrait of a favorite cow on a bone. I have had many challenges before, but this is my first bone painting!
I thought I'd better experiment first, and I found this small piece of deer bone in the pasture. After I cleaned it, I gessoed and primed it and then painted the image with acrylic, using an extender to keep the paint from drying too fast. I'll spray a matte varnish over it tomorrow.
Now I need to get ahold of a bovine hip or shoulder bone. A skull would be GREAT (especially if it had horns), but they are expensive and I don't want to part with any of mine.
Click here to send me an email
Proverbs 25:15
Through patience a ruler can be persuaded, and a gentle tongue can break a bone.

No comments: