Saturday, September 7, 2013

Proud Gracie - Jersey Cow Portrait

8 X 8 oil on panel $125
Includes shipping and insurance U.S.
In case you hadn't noticed, there are a lot of us folks out here enjoying a self-sufficient lifestyle - raising our own vegetables and meat. And many of us have even ventured into keeping a family milk cow. The Jersey breed enjoys great popularity - I have a Jersey cross myself - but they can be a problem if you don't have a need for 5 to 10 gallons of milk a day! I feed "extra" milk to my dogs and chickens, but they can only eat so much. The perfect solution for us is to let Aunt Abbey raise extra calves. It takes a while, though, for the calves to get big enough to consume all she is producing. So I have been giving away milk (up to three gallons a day) to friends and family.
Today, however, I am grateful to announce that both calves are happily chugging down all of Abbey's bounty and we are no longer milking twice a day. Now I only get enough for our family - every 3 days or so - and the calves take care of the milk the rest of the time.  A perfect compromise.
For the sake of my family and friends, I will say, “Peace be within you.”

If you are interested in this painting, click here to send me an email. I accept checks and Paypal. I can also arrange LAYAWAY. To view my latest paintings on Daily Painters go HERE. To view larger paintings, go to my Website HERE. To view a wealth of OTHER Texas Artists, enjoy THIS site!

1 comment:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I love to read about life on the farm :D