Monday, October 13, 2008

Getting Ready for Winter

5 X 7 Oil on Board $100
Shipping and Insurance included
SOLD to a California collector

Wasn’t today interesting? The biggest gain for the Dow Jones ever. I usually have my radio tuned to talk stations all day, but today I listened to my favorite country western station and was emotionally moved by Randy Travis’ new song, “Dig Two Graves” and Travis Tritt’s song “If I Lost You.” Both songs tugged at my heart because two precious members of our church have recently entered nursing homes – both 90+ and leaving their respective spouses at home alone. We as a church are trying to be supportive, but we all know the inevitable outcome. Someone is going to be left alone after 60+ years of marriage. And we grieve in advance. And pray.

I spent most of the day in the studio with a short trip to town to deliver another painting for a charity event. I find myself being asked for such donations more and more, and I’m beginning to think that perhaps this is why I must paint.

Back to landscapes – sort of. I had to paint a horse in this one! This is a farm I saw in Wyoming. I eliminated the mountains in the background and put beautiful Easy in the foreground to look more “Texasy”.

One of my supporters has expressed a concern for “Easy” should I sell him, and I have reassured her that all my horses are “placed” appropriately! They are family and I take very seriously my caretaker role in their lives.

Easy was a racehorse before he came to me, but his genes were deceptive – he didn’t want to run. He was put on the quarter horse track, which, if you don’t know, means SPRINTING – FAST – like a cheetah. He’s built more like a thoroughbred – for distance. So he was really out of his element, though his genes (Dash for Cash and Easy Jet) just screamed “FAST”!!!!! Most racehorses that don’t run end up as dog food because they only know one thing (imagine Paris Hilton as a Calculus Professor). But Easy was different and his owner recognized that. And luckily we connected and Easy was assured a better life than a tin can. But at my house he just eats and poses for the camera – and he really is a good riding horse, but TOO TALL for me! And a teenager in a good 4-H program would love him. So my horse is in my prayers, too, for a better life than the one he has with me.

And for those of you wondering about Miss Dandy – she is fine, too. We are dealing with hoof issues, but with my friend Trista’s help, we are on top of it and keeping her sound. Stayed tuned for updates and paintings of Dandy and her new friend Gizmo….(?)

By the way – the title “Getting Ready for Winter” implies two things. The horse is eating AND the silo is full. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket…..

Ezekiel 37:13
Then you, my people, will know that I am the LORD, when I open your graves and bring you up from them.




No comments: