Friday, May 30, 2008

Learning to Dance With Four Feet


20 X 24 Oil on Stretched canvas
Contact Artist for Price
When Dandy was first learning to walk, she treated her legs as if they were abstract glued on appendages. Her first attempt to lay down after her first meal was hilarious. One leg would buckle and then straighten up. Then another. Finally she could stand no longer and just flopped down.
The first time she ran was even funnier. She careened into her momma and the sides of her stall. When she got a chance to really run in the pasture, there was no stopping her - except when she stalled out and studied her legs as if to question what they were and how they worked. It was as if she was at a dancing studio and leaning the two-step (or in her case the four-step!).
She didn't give up, though (obviously), and now she runs like a gazelle. Practice make perfect. Well, not always PERFECT, but practice does improve. And that's what I'm trying to do here. Practice, practice, practice. And I'll be happy with whatever little improvements I think I'm making.
My studio is nearly finished, but so many little details are left. And I have a huge pile of really bad to mediocre little paintings that I would love to burn just to get them out of here. Some I have already gessoed over so I can paint something entirely new.
I have also discovered that there is a HUGE difference between paint brands - both in consistency, speadability and pigment content and mixture. You would not believe the difference between Ultramarine Blue among 3 major paint suppliers. I need to establish some consistency here.
One of my favorite instructors told me 2 years ago: "If you devote 5 years to really studying and painting and learning, you could become a really good artist." I am nearly halfway there....
Psalm 23:4
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

No comments: