Saturday, December 6, 2008

Like Mother Not Like Daughter?


9 X 13 Oil on flat canvas $125
Check with me for availability

Little Dandy started out life the same color as her momma - bright sorrel. But as Spring and Summer passed, she morphed into the color of her grand-dam, Miss Jack, who was registered as brown, but turned a gorgeous black in winter. Children do that too - start out like one parent or another and suddenly they become like a grandparent, too. My mom has a creative, mathematical mind, and we share many traits. My daddy had a goofy sense of humor and a salesman's gift of gab. But my artistic genes come from my mom's mother, my grandmother who I called "Itee". It was Itee that first put a paintbrush in my hand and taught me how to draw and compose and manipulate oil paint. She was a teacher with an artist's soul who didn't actually start painting until she was middle aged. She's been gone for more than 20 years now, but I still have some of her old art supplies - including her student easels and her paint box. I like to think she watches me as I paint and smiles. Thanks, Itee, for the genes!
Proverbs 19:8
He who gets wisdom loves his own soul; he who cherishes understanding prospers.

No comments: