Friday, December 12, 2008

Opportunists 2


11 X 14 Oil on Canvas Board
Check with me for availability

I enlarged my original little painting of these two to include more background. I still need to add a few tiny details AND take a better, daylight picture. But it's basically the same as the first - two Indian brothers wearing different military uniforms - one from the North and one from the South. The title "Opportunists" infers a number of meanings, the least of which is wearing a jacket for its warmth - regardless of its color. They also have rifles - much better for hunting than bows and arrows. What better opportunities did THAT afford them? Another thought: Native Americans did not enjoy the benefit of horses until after the Spanish explored North America. What opportunities were derived from THAT tool?
I have always been intrigued by the imagery of "Opportunity Knocks". So many times we don't answer (or aren't prepared to) and in many cases we don't even recognize him! And sometimes, maybe we shouldn't answer. Prayer sometimes solves this dilemma.
A note to two new friends: Two new collectors came to visit me today. Jan, who lives in Weatherford and Sally who lives in Mineral Wells, both were convinced to come see me to pick up their purchases today. Oddly we are all 3 the same age and are art and animal lovers, too. I loved meeting ya'll and hope you stay in contact. It's nice to be able to put a face to those who compliment me so richly!
1 Samuel 18:20-22 (in Context) 1 Samuel 18 (Whole Chapter) Jeremiah 46:17
There they will exclaim, 'Pharaoh king of Egypt is only a loud noise; he has missed his opportunity.'

No comments: