Monday, December 1, 2008

Opportunists

SOLD to a collector in Montana
8 X 6 Oil on gessoed Masonite $115

Includes shipping and insurance in U.S.
The titles to my paintings come at various stages during their construction. My normal painting routine is to have a specific image in my head and then I search to find the proper background, rearranging the focus, changing the position of the sun, etc. if needed. Often while I am searching my archives of photos and sketches, a title comes to mind. Most often it comes to me while in the middle of the painting. This one did not occur to me until I was cropping the photo and making it ready for the blog. I rarely fret over a title - they always come. Like my Bible verses at the end - I know God will provide a verse, like He provides me with everything else I need. This one was almost tricky, though.
"Opportunists". Do you see what the young men are wearing? Civil War coats from different sides. They don't care what the color is or what they represent. They are simply warm and protective without attached labels of beliefs. The opportunity that afforded their acquiring them is not known, but we may presume that they receive greater benefit from them than the soldiers who originally wore them....maybe.

Ephesians 5:15-17 (NIV) "Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is."

No comments: