Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Party Begins Now - WIP


nodp
One nice result of taking pictures of my work as I go, it makes the things I need to correct more obvious, especially if I reduce the image to black and white.
It immediately has become obvious that the foreground cowboy's left foot need to be a darker value and since his hat is nearly lost in the sky, I will probably turn it black. The distant mountain fades nicely - I like that. The rear cowboy doesn't though, so I may glaze him to make him retreat more into the background, tho not too much, because I still want to see some detail in him.
The fore-ground is next, and I plan tall grasses with high mountain flowers - some lupine and Mexican hat, perhaps. And a couple large rocks, maybe. This is the only part of the painting that I did not plan in detail before I began. I will sketch it out after I research my huge "library" of photos of mountain tops.
All the images I use in all my paintings are entirely my own. I may surf Internet images to clarify a question I have regarding a costume or era in history, but the backgrounds and people and animals I use are all mine, taken by me of either staged events with models or simply images I have come upon by chance. I take my camera with me everywhere!
These two characters were acquired at the Mountain Man Rendezvous in Pine Dale, Wyoming summer 2008. They weren't all wearing truly authentic costumes, but then I doubt I would know the difference anyway, although I AM learning a lot about period clothing.
Howard Terpning is the master of Americana period painting. I would be happy with 1% of his library of research material....

Jeremiah 49:16

The terror you inspire and the pride of your heart have deceived you, you who live in the clefts of the rocks, who occupy the heights of the hill. Though you build your nest as high as the eagle's, from there I will bring you down," declares the LORD.

No comments: