Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Greener Pastures

6 X 7 Oil on canvas board $55
Includes Shipping and Insurance within US
I haven't had much time to paint lately. This time of year the garden is all-consuming, as is the construction of the chicken coop.
Yesterday Mike and I stapled all the wire up around the run. Today we construct the door and lay the wire on top. Carl will cut a door into the laying area and we'll be done. And just in time - the birds are getting quite large. The run is 4 times the size of the coop's interior. And once they get bigger and start laying, I intend to release them into the garden occasionally. Those plans are for Fall, though.
I also have to tell you that 1/4 of these birds are supposed to be roosters - the eating variety. I am doing my best NOT to get attached to any of them and not give 'em names for this reason! Several of them are Barred Rocks. The roosters enjoy a deserved reputation for aggressiveness. Years ago we had a barred rock rooster that attacked us every time we entered "his" back yard. When he spurred 5 year old Benjamin, it was the final straw. He was stewed that evening!
One of the chicks has developed into a really attractive bird with feathered feet. I am hoping it is a hen because not only is she pretty, but she's also very attracted to Georgia.
  1. John 13:38
    Then Jesus answered, "Will you really lay down your life for me? I tell you the truth, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times!

No comments: