Monday, April 20, 2009

Cattle Drive

20 X 24 Oil on stretched canvas
Contact artist for availability
I already painted a similar, smaller version of this painting, and I really liked it in the square format. I wanted to try it more vertical, though, so I eliminated the one slightly hidden steer and moved the lower one even lower - and aimed him in another direction. I also put the cowboy in a more interesting environment. AND made the whole thing more colorful and textured - there is a LOT of paint on this one. I still like the little one, though and will probably donate it to a silent auction for the Cancer Walk-a-thon that is happening here next month.
I remain stuck on the longhorns, it seems. I took some really cute rooster and hens-with-chicks pictures last week, so that may be my next obsession! Birds are always challenging, but I love them.
One on my collectors raises pigeons - and so did I back in High School. I had a Science Fair project where I taught pigeons to peck a spot to get rewarded with food. After the whole thing was over (and I did earn an "A"), we kept the birds in an outside aviary (in suburban Dallas!). We discovered pigeons to be very prolific breeders, and in no time there was quite a flock. Neighbors' and parents' complaints convinced me to take them off 30 miles or so and release them. The very next day all birds were back in the coop! It took a trip to Lubbock to get them far enough from home to stay away! They were pretty wild birds when I got them, and wild they became.
1 Corinthians 3:8
The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor.

1 comment:

Gary Keimig said...

these last two posts are wonderful paintings. I think you are hitting your stride, Debbie.
God bless and keep up the good work