Friday, April 10, 2009

Freckles is Leaving Now

9 X 12 Oil on Canvas Board $200
SOLD to a Texas Collector
This is the look I get from "Freckles" when I venture out to photograph her and her calf. It's the "Screw you, I'm leaving now" look - she trusts no one. Last year Freckles was open (didn't have a calf), but Ron kept her anyway hoping that this year would be productive. I think he's pleased with this speckled heifer. I said I wasn't going to paint every spot, but I feel like I did!
This cow is always the most difficult to catch in the pen. Whenever you have a cow like that, the "suspicious factor" seems to be transmitted to the rest of the herd, and if you press the issue, they ALL become impossible to catch and you may as well give up until another day. Only when you act as if you DON'T want to catch her can you catch her. And using a horse never helps - she can outrun just about anything - and with her horns, you don't want to corner her. SOOOO the solution is to leave feed in the corral, keep watch and when she finally wanders in (last of course), run and beat her to the gate. Her aggravating tenacity is what makes her such a good momma, though, and she reminds me of some people I know......
Luke 5:11
Then Jesus said to Simon, "Don't be afraid; from now on you will catch men." So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him.
Have a very blessed Easter!

1 comment:

naquaiya said...

Hey Debbie,
I think I'm in love with this freckles character. I feel like I know her now. She's a proud and very cool mom. Happy Easter!