Sunday, July 19, 2009

Get Away From Me! work in progress

nodp
12 X 12 Oil on Canvas work in progress
I thought you might like to see how a number of my paintings begin. Often I take images from several different sources. I am not a very good photographer so it is rare for me to have a perfectly composed image. I did, however, like the positioning of these two horses.
This is Tuffy and Easy. Tuffy was being his usual bossy self - pushing Easy around - and as is my custom when I visit them, I had my camera handy.
When I like the composition as is, I sometimes use a grid to enlarge the drawing accurately. I often do a small thumbnail sketch as well, but I didn't with this one. The background will not remain like this, either. I like to do an under painting of the background to add some dimension, but right now it's too wet to paint over, so I reached a point where I had to stop this evening to allow it to dry.
Daniel 4:5
I had a dream that made me afraid. As I was lying in my bed, the images and visions that passed through my mind terrified me.

No comments: