Friday, August 3, 2012

Patience is a Dude Ranch Horse

8 X 10 Oil on Gessoed Masonite Board $125
This painting is SOLD
We are just home from our yearly trip to Cuchara, Colorado, and I admit to once renting a horse there. It wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be...we had to walk in line, nose to tail, and we weren't allowed to take photographs (my MAIN reason for going in the first place!) I did sneak my little pocket camera out a couple times, though, at the risk of having to walk home!
Those trail horses are the epitome of patience - and they have to be very special to put up with an assortment of people, all sizes and levels of competence. Of course, one really doesn't have to know how to ride to participate - just stay in the saddle and the animal will do the rest. A horse in front of me did startle at a baby elk barely hidden in the grass right next to the trail, though, and I was truly impressed with the young lady who managed to stay upright and not lose her seat (and was secretly glad it was her and not I on the suspicious mount!)
It's over 105 here in central Texas again today with no rain in sight - and Abbey-the-cow is due to calve any minute. Her udder is quite full and her belly tight. Right now she is as far from the front studio window as she can get - under a copse of Mesquite trees. I am using the binoculars every hour to make sure she is OK. Hopefully she'll calve at night, and I can get the calf under cover before the heat of day tomorrow.
We have a new puppy...and Georgia has a wrestling buddy...more on this later!
Luke 21:19
In your patience possess ye your souls.

If you are interested in this painting, click here to send me an email. I accept checks and Paypal. I can also arrange LAYAWAY. To view my latest paintings on Daily Painters go HERE. To view larger paintings, go to my Website HERE. To view a wealth of OTHER Texas Artists, enjoy THIS site!

1 comment:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I love the beautiful brushwork and bold color in these paintings of horses.