Saturday, May 25, 2013

For the Love of a Cow

Image about 5 X 7   Sharpie on drawing paper
$25 includes shipping
I am evolving into a huge admirer of cows.
We have had cows for over 30 years - from half breed mutt cows of undetermined ancestry to noble, long-pedigreed heritage Simmentals. Right now we have 4 bovines. One is a cow that came to me as a black Jersey. I suspect she is part Angus, however, but it doesn't really matter - her milk is good regardless of the label. Her name is Abbey and she is our family milk cow. I have done a bit of studying lately on the history of cows and the best description I have read declared them to be the greatest solar energy users out there. Think about it. They turn sun-grown-grass which is pretty much unusable by us folks with a single stomach into milk, meat, and fertilizer. How efficient is that?
I have truly grown to love my little Abbey cow. It has taken over a year, but we have such a nice relationship now - I no longer have to argue with her when I want milk - she willingly shares it twice a week. And the rest of the time she feeds 2 adopted calves.
Abbey is due to have another calf in 2 months, so we have started the process of drying her up. The calves have been removed and I am milking her less and less to encourage her to stop producing milk. It's a sad time for me - I will miss our milking sessions together. But I am looking forward to her next calf and hoping it will be a heifer this time, that I can raise to be possibly another family milk cow.
And then there's Miss Sophie - another post, another time....
Matthew 26:22
They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, “Surely you don’t mean me, Lord?”


If you are interested in this drawing, click here to send me an email. I accept checks and Paypal. I can also arrange LAYAWAY. To view my latest paintings on Daily Painters go HERE. To view larger paintings, go to my Website HERE. To view a wealth of OTHER Texas Artists, enjoy THIS site!

No comments: