Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Spooky Cow - from a new angle

12 X 12 oil on 3/4" birch panel - can be hung unframed 
Available through the Dutch Art Gallery in Dallas
Winter is on its way - SERIOUS winter for us thin blooded Texans.  The forecast for Wednesday night's low is in the teens. And of course, I have chicks about to hatch and "teen aged chicks" ready to move out of the brooder into the coop, where they will be forced to fend for themselves and get along with the older biddies.  I have spent the day cleaning, rearranging and hanging heat lamps and creating "safe areas" for the half-grown chickens, moving firewood closer to the house, getting a stall ready for still-gestating-Sophie and preparing for the COLD.
Mike got another doe last night, and since I knew today was already full, I encouraged him to take it to the processor. It was an extravagance (especially since I know they can't possibly get as much meat off the bones as I do!), but it's nice to have neatly wrapped little packages of tenderized steaks and ground meat (that I will turn into summer sausage). Plus they gave us a large bag of bones for the dogs, and said I could come back for more while it was still hunting season. I am tempted to freeze some; the dogs love them so much.
Sophie had an enormous glob of goo suspended from her girlie parts this morning, but her udder is still not expanded like it was just prior to calving last year, so I think we still have a few days to go. She will be locked up tonight, however, just in case. Another nagging worry is the cougar that has been sighted  just a mile from our farm. There are plenty feral pigs for it to survive on, but I assume that the domestic calves would be easier prey. I find myself counting noses (and beaks) hourly.

Jeremiah 31:2  This is what the Lord says: “The people who survive the sword will find favor in the wilderness; I will come to give rest to Israel.”

If you are interested in this painting, click here to send me an email. I accept checks and Paypal. I can also arrange LAYAWAY. To view my latest paintings on Daily Painters go HERE. To view larger paintings, go to my Website HERE. To view a wealth of OTHER Texas Artists, enjoy THIS site!

1 comment:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I love your stories about life on the farm.