Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Road Well Traveled

8X10 Oil on Canvas Panel
Check with artist for availability
What advice do you give a young person graduating from High School today?
 A number of platitudes immediately come to mind: "Stay true to yourself", "Dance as if no one is watching", "Always wear clean underwear"....
I think some good advice would be to choose a road where there is already a path made. This may initially sound pretty boring and perhaps even way too conventional (especially coming from this hippie-wanna-be). And when I graduated from High School in 1970, the LAST thing I wanted was a conventional way of life "plodding" in the footsteps of those who went before me, but life has brought me a bit of wisdom, and a change of heart.
Why re-invent the wheel, when it's already perfect? The road I am speaking of is the the road leading to Christ. It's not a boring road. The one you choose to walk may not even be paved - and it may cross some fairly spectacular countryside. But it is a well mapped road that has ruts in it made by millions before you. And I know where it leads. In addition, the journey is anything BUT boring.
And that is what I was thinking as I painted this. A neighbor's child has graduated this spring - Valedictorian of her class - an extraordinary accomplishment. I enjoy giving my small paintings as graduation gifts, with an explanation of my thoughts as it was painted, and I kept lovely Lindsey in my thoughts and prayers as I painted this.
Genesis 24:40
“He replied, ‘The LORD, before whom I have walked faithfully, will send his angel with you and make your journey a success".
If you are interested in a painting like this one, click here to send me an email. I accept checks and Paypal. I can also arrange LAYAWAY. To view my latest paintings on Daily Painters go HERE. To view larger paintings, go to my Website HERE. To view a wealth of OTHER Texas Artists, enjoy THIS site!

No comments: