Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Stand Your Ground

11X12 Oil on Board
Check with Artist for Availability
The cowboy on his horse leaps from the starting chute, chasing a darting calf, throws his rope, leaves the running horse as the rope (hopefully) settles over the neck of the calf, runs down its length, throws the calf, ties three of its legs and throws his hands in the air. Often in less than 10 seconds (if he's gonna win). So much has to happen perfectly for any of this to have a successful conclusion, the least of which is being on a horse who knows when to stop and stand his ground, keeping the rope taunt for the cowboy. If he stops too soon or too late, the calf is lost and the cowboy's entry fee is gone.
I cannot help but conclude that morality in life can be likened to a roping horse who knows where to stand his ground. Variance in either direction can lead to dire conclusions. Practice makes perfect. And some ARE more skilled than others (next time you attend a roping, watch how often a favorite horse gets used by more than one roper).
But when you KNOW what the rules are and have discovered that sweet spot where the consequences of your actions have positive results, the rest of the competition falls into place and a winning time is made!
I  have been asked to show my work at the Tarleton State University Fine Arts Center Gallery in October. My daughter graduated from TSU and I worked there several years back in the 80's. It is a high honor to be able to humbly present my paintings before the University visitors, students and staff, and I am leaning toward a theme of "cowboy art" (which obviously won't be too hard to assemble!)
This painting was done with a very limited palette (yellow, red, black and white) that some call a "Zorn Palette" after the Swedish artist, Anders Zorn. Limiting the palette to just a few colors allows for color harmony and is next to impossible to screw up! I don't usually use black ever, but here it works for me...
I will have to custom frame this piece, too - it started off as a 12X12, but I left too much space over the cowboy's head and so removed an inch. I think I may epoxy it and free-float it over a piece of mesquite...decisions decisions...
Psalm 9:8.
He rules the world in righteousness and judges the peoples with equity.
If you are interested in this painting, click here to send me an email. I accept checks and Paypal. I can also arrange LAYAWAY. To view my latest paintings on Daily Painters go HERE. To view larger paintings, go to my Website HERE. To view a wealth of OTHER Texas Artists, enjoy THIS site!

1 comment:

Suzy Pal Powell said...

awesome work Debbie! western art is my fav!! i would love to do horses, cowboys, etc. but they are so hard!!