Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Yellow Rose of Texas

7.5 X 7.5 Oil on unstretched canvas $110
Shipping and Insurance included
SOLD to a collector in South Australia
I have never been able to grow roses - every other kind of flower I can grow, but roses have always given me grief. Both my mother and mother-in-law have GORGEOUS roses in their yard, so I am trying one more time. This time I have paid attention to drainage, compost, sunlight and disease, and as a result, this year I HAVE ROSES! I even planted a pink one in the church flower bed and it is thriving, too.
Don't ask me what kind this one is - it's a prickly, yellow one! And I have found out that it's the old fashioned roses that are fragrant - this one is not, so I'm sure it's a hybrid. I may plant another one that smells good next spring, if this one survives the winter. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Don't forget to get ready for the BIG SALE starting November 1!
Ephesians 5:2
and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

1 comment:

MeredithJean said...

What a beautiful yellow bud. I have bought this painting Debbie and I love it, well done. You may not be able to grow them but you can paint them :) In Adelaide, South Australia where I live, there are roses everywhere and anybody can have a garden filled with them. They're all flowering just now as we are in our Spring.
My dear sister died at 49 almost exactly a year ago and yellow roses were her favourite. I cannot go past your lovely painting. I'm not sure whether I'm going to give it to my mother or to my sister's husband and two little boys who are both under 10. It is endowed with a meaning now for a family on the other side of the globe quite in excess of your original inspiration. But such is beauty and the diverse perceptions by each of us as we live our differences.
Thank you.
Now we are connected.
xxx