Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Bigamist

8 X 6 Oil on Masonite $50 SOLD

I live in a rural area between the towns of Stephenville, Morgan Mill and Bluff Dale, Texas. I am closest to Morgan Mill, but I have a Bluff Dale address and a Stephenville phone number. Our closest neighbor (200 yards as the crow flies, but a mile away by road) has a Bluff Dale number. I love the idiosyncrasies of this area, particularly the chickens that have the run of “downtown Morgan Mill” – which is about 1.8 miles from me. They supposedly belong to a man in town, but they pretty much have free rein to roam. My daughter lives in Morgan Mill, and I wish she would encourage the chickens to lay eggs at her place. I doubt that is possible, though, because chickens tend to be very loyal to their nesting area. There are several roosters, and all have a harem that they vigorously protect and guard from other roosters. This handsome fellow actually has the most hens at the moment, but I only painted 2 of them this time. This is my first attempt at painting poultry but I think I will probably do more…

Jeremiah 17:11 Like a partridge that hatches eggs it did not lay is the man who gains riches by unjust means. When his life is half gone, they will desert him, and in the end he will prove to be a fool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I come to your blog often in the morning waiting for light. I like your bold strokes. I went to a little school in Texas. TAMU. I sure do miss that bbq brisket. I have painted something most days since September 2007. I just finished my 100th. I started doing some chickens, rooster's are my favorite.
Rick Nilson