Saturday, February 16, 2008

Whoa!

11 X 14 on Stretched Canvas $125.00
This painting depicts what is obviously a young horse that doesn't know how to stop yet. I have been on many like this, and it's bone jarring, believe me. Stiff legged front end, head in the air - and still wearing a hackamore. I wouldn't have had the nerve to ride him in the open yet - not without a "good stop" on him! But this guy did and survived long enough for an image!
This little painting is a fun piece and a bit of a different direction for me. It still has a horse and cowboy, but the palette and technique have variations. I used only 3 colors and white. Doug Prine teaches a very limited palette (with no black, of course) which I am familiar with, but don't always adhere to.
I am no different from many artists - searching for that magical tube of color that adds instant "pop" and satisfaction. Sometimes I think I need to just throw away everything that isn't a part of the basics - like life, we always seems to think that just one more thing will make it perfect.....
Proverbs 20:29 The glory of young men is their strength, gray hair the splendor of the old.

No comments: