Thursday, February 14, 2008

Ute Indian Child


9 X 12 Ute Child Portrait $125

I have been in class all day. My study time with Doug Prine has been quite helpful. Doug is an extremely generous man and goes beyond the basics to share his expertise and knowledge and love of art. He is one of the few artists I have met who has actually made a living from art all his life. And the way he lovingly speaks of his supportive wife of over 40 years – he registered a plus in my book.


I am not a portrait painter, but Doug challenged us to do things we are not normally comfortable doing. So I have painted portraits this week. This one is still unfinished, but I will post it completed - some day!
I came home to hammering into the night. The weather is supposed to turn bad tomorrow and the builder wants to get the roof covered in tar paper just in case. This is the most conscientious builder I have ever met. He is a slave driver, but he pays his employees well and doesn’t ask them to do anything he’s not doing himself. He cleans up every day and asks questions regularly to make sure he is doing what we want. He is meticulous about getting everything perfect, too – perfectly straight, perfectly clean, perfectly aligned…and his suggestions for change, when appropriate are good, too.
The highest peak of the studio roof will be 19 feet inside – I will have gloriously high walls to display paintings – BIG ONES! I have always wanted to paint big and now I will be able to. Might not be able to ship or sell them, but the opportunity will be here!

Proverbs 3:6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

2 comments:

"van Vliet" Art Blog said...

A beautiful and striking child. I enjoyed looking at your blog with all the wonderful insights shared.

Debbie said...

Thank you for the kind comments! I guess I need to paint more beautiful children!