Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Downhill Cattle Drive

A hot summer day, heading downhill toward another pasture with, hopefully, greener grass. You may draw a parallel with today's economic situation. We must descend to the valley before we climb the mountain.

I painted this from a photo taken by fellow artist Doug Prine. Doug is very generous not only with his talent and teaching, but also with the hundreds of photos he takes. I don't normally paint from photos taken by other artists, but this one was impossible to resist. I am going to paint it again much larger, and probably place the cowboy coming up over the edge of a ridge with a touch of sky visible.

Last week I spent about 30 minutes at the end of friend, Debra's, driveway taking several hundred photos of her neighbor's longhorns. I am particularly fond of their champion steer, Rusty. There were also a number of cows with their younguns and several other steers. I am so fortunate to live in an area with uncountable critter models! I really don't need to travel far from home.

Matthew 20:15
Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?

Media: oil on canvas board
Size: 9 in X 9 in (22.9 cm X 22.9 cm)
Price: $150 includes postage and insurance

How to Purchase:

Buy this painting on PayPal
Price: $150 USD
Framed as shown: $200 plus shipping and insurance
Or, send me an email


Pam Holnback said...

Love the highlights on the backs of the longhorns and your brush treatment of the grasses.

Debbie said...

Thanks, Pam - sometimes it's hard to know when to STOP painting the grass!

Lori McNamara said...

Ooo I love this one, frame it!