Saturday, March 21, 2009

Water Cow


6 X 8 Oil on gessoed masonite $115
Includes shipping and insurance
I know some of ya'll get impatient and/or worried when I don't post regularly, but believe me, I am OK - just painting on some larger canvases and working in the yard and vegetable garden.
This morning as the sun was rising, I noticed Ron's cows next door getting up, stretching and getting ready to feed their calves (there's 2 new ones). I threw on a sweater and jogged across our front pasture over to the gate that separates us. I climbed the back side of Ron's pond to approach the cows on the other side and you might have thought the cows saw an alien. When they spotted me, they took off running for the far side of their pasture, and it took a good 20 minutes for them to realize it was only me and to settle down. I took photos for another 40 minutes and my patience was well rewarded.
I got some great photos of cows reflected in water, cows and calves crossing water, cows backlit by morning sun, etc.
Ron has five cows - three are speckled Longhorns and 2 are black, hornless (muley) cows. This little heifer calf belongs to one of the black cows, and Ron hasn't had his hands on her yet to find out if she has horns. You can't see them at this age, but you could feel them if you could touch her head - something I wouldn't recommend right now unless a good, strong fence separates you from her momma when you perform that test! A sweet cow can turn into a demon in a second if she thinks her calf is threatened. I know from experience.
Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.