Friday, March 13, 2009

It's All About the Horns



This big ole longhorn steer belongs to a neighbor across the highway. I don't know if he's competed in any shows, but I suspect he has won his share of ribbons. His horns appear to be award winners.

I e-mailed my friend, Debra, and asked her if she knew he name of her neighbor's big ole black and white steer. This is how she responded:

Well you are going to absolutely crack up!!! Lonnie & Kit started their herd with 4 young steers. They let
each of their (then) 4 grandchildren name them. There is Rusty - red spotted Res.Gr.Champion.
There is Bronco - pretty sure he's the buckskin with blended black shoulders and head.
Then one small grand daughter named the little solid white cute one Snowball. He is now VERY BIG with
lonnnnng sharp horns with black tips and is pretty mean. Course with a name like that I would be, too.
The last grand daughter could not talk at the time of the naming because she was a baby, so they
just called him Baby Steer until she was old enough to decide. Well, she liked the name. So go ahead
put that moniker on that big ol' beautiful black & white longhorn. Tell the whole world just who Baby Steer
is. "Baby Steer" it is!

It has been raining for 2 days in my part of Texas and I have been in and out of it all afternoon without complaint. Despite the fact that it's 40 degrees, I have smiled during every wet minute! The bluebonnets always bloom around my birthday - end of March - but it was beginning to look a little "iffy" as to whether or not we would get a show this year. The seeds germinate late summer, and we did have a nice rain in August that got them up. But all winter the little bluebonnet plantlets have remained small and pathetic, waiting for moisture that failed to come. BUT we have nearly 3 inches in the rain gauge now, and I had to search for my mud boots before I could go feed the horses. (Mike graciously loaned me his.)

I may paint this again with bluebonnets.

Isaiah 61:11
For as the soil makes the sprout come up and a garden causes seeds to grow, so the Sovereign LORD will make righteousness and praise spring up before all nations.
Media: oil on canvas panel
Size: 9 in X 12 in (22.9 cm X 30.5 cm)
Price: $150 includes shipping and insurance in US

How to Purchase:

Buy this painting on PayPal
Price: $150 USD
Or, send me an email

2 comments:

PAT MEYER -- said...

This guy looks a little lonely. The painting screams TEXAS! Yeah! Perfect experience of our lovely state.

Debbie said...

Thanks, Pat. I'm kinda hooked on the longhorns right now (ouch!). Expect a bunch more!