Sunday, April 6, 2008

Joined at the Hip

6 X 8 Oil on Masonite Board $125
includes shipping and insurance
SOLD to a collector in South Pasadena, California

I found this goosey pair at a farm down the road from us where Mike and I went to practice shooting hand guns. Yes, we live in Texas and no, not all Texans carry firearms on their hips. But Mike and I did take a course in fire arm safety and hand gun laws. We intend to get our licenses to carry a concealed hand gun, although in Texas you can already tote a gun in your car, so long as it’s concealed. I probably will never carry a gun on my person or in my purse, but I like knowing that I can if I want to - legally, and I also like being familiar with guns as opposed to being afraid of them (which is what usually happens with things you are unfamiliar with).

Back to the geese…they mate for life, you know. They may not always look like they are getting along every minute they are together – BUT they stay together nevertheless. I kinda like that concept. The through thick and thin modality.

These two were wandering around the place where the targets were set up for us to take our shooting test (I did REALLY well, by the way!) The wary male goose led the way for the very feminine hen goose. She was dependent on him to take care of her and ward off this very unfamiliar photographer. That’s OK in the goose world, but I kinda prefer being able to take care of myself – or at least thinking I can! But I still like the commitment thing, too.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-13 11 Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, 12 so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the gaggle. or the 2 geese.