Wednesday, April 2, 2008

No Baby Yet

Question of the day: How long can a fat horse NOT have her baby? My nighttime routine is getting old. Alarm goes off (or, if Mike is lucky, I wake up 2 minutes before and turn it off), I roll out of bed, find shoes and glasses and tip toe to the kitchen where I load up my “birthing gear”. This consists of a flashlight, my phone, pocket camera and a towel (to grip slippery forelegs while pulling and then to wipe off nostrils for easier breathing). Phone has vet’s number in it – actually two different vets – second is a backup.

I silently slip out the back door and walk the 50 yards to the paddock. Except for the vapor light illuminating the south pasture and the gas rigs on the horizon, it’s very dark and the stars above are brilliant. I pass the stand of oaks and hackberries. They throw long shadows across the drive helping me to avoid the rocks and ruts in the path. I am still half asleep - somewhere in that world that moms can go when they get up in the middle of the night to feed a newborn and then return to slumber almost immediately when the job is completed. PJ knows I’m coming and lets out a little nicker. I can’t see her yet, but the sound is reassuring – has she had her baby???

Finally my weak flashlight (I’ve been doing this for 3 nights now) finds her alone and with that expectant look on her face – “Where’s my breakfast?”

“Good night PJ, I’ll see you again at daybreak…”

I take a quick picture and return to the house where my bed is still warm and Mike is sound asleep. Maybe tomorrow we’ll have a baby.

1 Thessalonians 5:10
He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him.

1 comment:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

this post is so beautifully written I feel I'm there. The gas rigs on the horizon and the horse nickering her greeting. That's a wonderful sound.
I hope the baby comes soon. Meanwhile, better take a nap ;)