Saturday, January 19, 2008

Does Know They Are Safe

16 X 20 Oil on Canvas $500
This is the painting I have been working on for 3 days - that seems about average for a 16 X 20. A few more "tweaks" and it'll be done.
We watched "Comanche Moon" this week and I have to admit that I was disappointed in the acting, screen writing and authenticity of the props (I have a thing about Indians carrying bright red feathers - they didn't have them). Nevertheless, I watched nearly the whole presentation because it WAS shot in Texas - in country that I love. That much was authentic and it inspired this painting. If you live in the country, you know about hunting season and what happens the day it begins. The deer and birds disappear - probably because they hear guns - duh - but I also believe that they have an instinct about when they are safe and when not. Take crows, for instance. Smartest birds I know. They raid our pecan trees for about 3 weeks out of the year and can strip the trees of the nuts. You can walk around the yard empty handed and they'll continue their marauding. Get something shiny (like a rifle) in your hand, and they disappear. NOW I have NEVER shot at a crow (I actually kinda like them, despite their thieving nature), but somehow the whole flock seems to know about guns. Go figure.
Psalm 140:11 Let slanderers not be established in the land; may disaster hunt down men of violence.

No comments: