Friday, January 25, 2008

Patient Teacher

6 X 8 Oil on Masonite $100
A treasured friend recently lost a treasured friend - her horse. And he was not just any horse. He was the favorite in her dude ranch string of trail horses - a trusted caretaker of both experienced riders and greenhorn dudes. He was born on her farm, earned more than his fair share of show awards, willingly carried children and adults and made even the most nervous riders feel safe and secure when on his back. He was an Appaloosa named Onton, and not only was he beautiful to look at, his heart was shiny, too.
I have promised a larger portrait of this fellow for my friend, and this is the first of many little ones I'll do before I settle on the final. I prefer to do horse portraits of them doing what they do best. In this painting, an inexperienced rider is learning to tack up a horse correctly, and Onton is standing patiently, letting this novice rider figure out all the straps and buckles. My first good horse was a little Appaloosa named "Cocoa". I gave her to an old cowboy who needed a small horse to "go look at his cows on." She, like Onton, knew how to take care of her rider and I look forward to riding her again some day. You know Heaven wouldn't be Heaven without horses, and I expect to have a whole herd there!
Matthew 5:10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

2 comments:

Trine said...

I really enjoy reading your stories along with watching your painting. I hope your friend's grief will be relieved soon.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean about heaven! I'll have a whole herd of dogs. And maybe there I won't be too old and fat and creaky-kneed to ride.

Beautiful work!