Thursday, January 24, 2008

New Orleans Post Katrina

7 X 9 Oil on canvas $100 includes shipping
Mike and I journeyed to Baton Rouge and New Orleans last summer to check on relatives and friends, to attend a wedding and to eat favorite foods. It was our first visit "home" since Katrina and we drove around New Orleans with a family friend. I kept my Kleenex close - it was heart wrenching to see the people still in trailers and the homes still boarded up and abandoned. A few things are getting back to normal, though. The French Quarter was pretty cleaned up - restaurants were open - streets were clean. But I understand that several hundred thousand people still have not returned and there is a serious housing shortage. The levees have been repaired, but there are complaints that it was a patch job and not capable of withstanding another serious storm. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that I would not rebuild a house in the flood area. Too scary. Texas has absorbed many refugees from Katrina and most have no plans to return. And all comment on the friendliness and the welcome they have received from Texans in general. I continue to pray for them all.
Isaiah 60:10 Foreigners will rebuild your walls, and their kings will serve you. Though in anger I struck you, in favor I will show you compassion.

2 comments:

William R. Moore said...

Debbie,
Nice composition, well painted.

Debbie said...

Thank you - After seeing how well this little worked, I plan to do it larger.