Friday, January 18, 2008

Fish Tales

"Bob" watercolor Not For Sale

I am going to have to redefine myself. I am still a Daily Painter, but at this point in my career, I don't necessarily FINISH a painting every day! I have painted the past 2 days on a large canvas and I expect to finish it today. It looks as if 3 days is about average for me to complete 95% of a painting. Then, like many artists, I "live" with it a while and put the final touches on it sometime in the future.

The little paintings have taught me a lot about colors and composition, and I will continue to do them. But at this point in time, I feel the need to paint large.

Mike has gessoed and cut me a huge stack of 6 X 8 Masonite panels - both to use now and for our Montana trip this summer (it's never too soon to plan a 6 week trip!) I have also stowed away in the camper wet canvas carriers. Wet paintings are a problem for oil painters - I had them stacked in box cartons and stashed on top of cabinets all over the camper last summer. This summer will be different.
I painted the above watercolor several summers ago after visiting my cousin Jane and her husband Bob in Baton Rouge. Bob is an avid fisherman and lives to go to his family cabin in Mississippi where he can invent the largest fish tales you've every heard! (Just kidding, Bob!)
Matthew 14:19 And he directed the people to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people.

No comments: