Thursday, January 31, 2008

Duck Duck

16 X 20 Oil on Canvas


$300

This is a mallard duck that visited my in-laws pond several years ago. I don't think he was wild - he didn't act like it. He stayed in the middle of the pond when we came around, but he didn't fly off, so I suspect he was raised by people. There is no way I could capture his iridescent glowing feathers, but I tried - he was magnificent. The hens of this species are quite plain by comparison and I raised one years ago before I was married. In fact, my then husband-to-be gave her to me as a duckling for Easter. The fact that I lived in a dormitory did not deter me from accepting the gift. The duck lived in a large cardboard box and we let her swim in the bathtub down the hall. I raised that duck for 2 months in the dorm until I went home for the summer and turned her loose at White Rock Lake in Dallas where she happily joined others of her species. I really doubt that the powers that be were ignorant of the fact that a duck was being housed on the 4th floor of Hulen Dorm at Texas Tech, but for some reason she was never confiscated, nor was I admonished. Sometimes I do believe I have lived a charmed life....
Matthew 24:32 "Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near.


Studio Update: Two large walls are up, windows were delivered (during gusty 50+ MPH winds which made my heart do flip flops), we have tracked down the brick manufacturer that made the original bricks and found some still in stock, decision was made about bathroom window (we will use glass bricks), and we will use blown in insulation instead of fiberglass. We are seeing progress.

No comments: