Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Under Construction



I was continually distracted yesterday, so I didn't get very far on this painting, nor did I paint a little "warm-up". SO I'm just going to show you this one that I started and maybe later while in progress.

It usually takes me several hours to compose a painting - especially if I use several elements from different sources. This painting will be composed of a horse from one photo (he's an old gelding that still goes to rodeos - a 12 year old girl rides him), the sky from another, and the old house and horizon from still another. The time of day is different in all the photos, but I'm making it a dramatic sunset. Hopefully I'll remember to take photos of it as I progress!

Yesterday's studio construction began with a big problem. It appears that our septic tanks weren't installed correctly 11 years ago when we built this house - there is not the required "drop" to make them as efficient as they can be. We have always had the problem of stopped toilets, but we just thought it was because we have "low water" toilets. Not so. Everything else works and drains, but the toilets have always been an aggravation. Plus the old line runs under the addition, so two additional clean outs need to be installed. PLUS the old line doesn't meet specks for going under concrete and could (tho probably won't) collapse leaving us with the need to decide whether or not to add a new septic system again. The cost of a new system is a bunch - plus there are all kinds of new permits and regulations and hoops to jump through. One "expert" recommends not fixing what ain't broke and another wants to cover his a-- and replace the whole she-bang. Our money - his pocket. And so begins the saga of the money pit! Mike keeps reminding himself that he is doing this for me, I'm sure. Thanks, Sweetie - I love you!

Today's Bible quote is SOOOO appropriate!

16 X 20 not for sale.

Proverbs 23:5 Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle.

No comments: