Monday, January 5, 2009

Afternoon Ride 2

6 X 8 Oil on Canvas Board $115
Includes shipping and insurance within U.S.
Here's a better rendition of yesterday's little painting, as I promised. I still like the other, kinda distorted, loosey little one. This one looks more like me, though.
As I enter this, freezing rain is falling outside, I am still in my PJ's nursing a head cold, and my little wood stove is glowing with warmth. The horses have been fed an extra ration of hay under the barn overhang. Georgia reluctantly ventures out to go to the bathroom and comes back quickly. She hasn't asked to chase the frisbee today. I can tell she's bored and restless, though. Bad weather is hard on an active dog.
I have drunk 4 cups of coffee and rescued 2 cardinals that knocked themselves out flying into the front glass door.
The bird feeders are standing room only today, and every now and then I hear a loud THWUMP either from the picture window or the front door. Most of the time the birds simply fly off, but occasionally they fall stunned to the porch. If I beat the cats to them and put them in a shoebox for a while, they usually recover. Guess I'm going to have to do something with my windows. I am open to suggestions....???? We have a million cardinals, so it's not like their numbers are seriously threatened, but I do hate to see them hurt - and this mostly happens in the winter when they are thick on the feeders.
This is one of my favorite verses and I have quoted it often. Birds are mentioned in the Bible over 129 times. I love birds. Mike has promised me a chicken coup, by the way.....more photo ops for the chicken painting collectors!
Matthew 6:26
Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

2 comments:

dominique eichi said...

I find that stickers or scotching a few little cutouts on the window might work. You can remove them comes summer.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I love this photo of the pair of Cardinals. When you see one, just look carefully and you'll see the other.
I also had a bird smack into the window and he left a big splashy feather print there. He did fly away but I could see that just as he was about to hit the window he tried to put on the brakes.