Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Rope Halter

Rope Halter, painting by Debbie Grayson Lincoln

Contact Artist for Availability:
A rope halter is really one of the best tools a horseman can have. It's extremely versatile - fitting a variety of horses - including yearlings. This one is being used like a hackamore for training. And making one is an easy, handy craft to learn.

I made my first rope halter years ago - following the "recipe" in a Western Horseman's magazine. It was the handiest and most effective halter I ever owned - and safe. Made of cotton rope, if the horse ever got it tangled in something, it was much more likely to break than a nylon halter. And that was a GOOD thing. I actually know someone whose horse died because he got his halter tangled in a farm implement and choked himself. I never leave halters on my horses, but if I had to, one made of cotton rope would be my first choice.

Psalm 119:61
Though the wicked bind me with ropes, I will not forget your law.

Media: oil
Size: 5 in X 7 in (12.7 cm X 17.8 cm)

send me an email

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used the term "hackamore" in a tack shop in eastern North Carolina. They looked at me as if I was speaking Russian. I like the bold brush strokes on the head. Really nice piece.

Debbie said...

Your work is teaching me the brush strokes...

Jennifer MacNeill said...

I've really enjoyed looking at your paintings especially this one!