Thursday, January 22, 2009

Real Cowboys Still Exist

30 X 40 Oil on canvas done in 2006
Not Available
I attended a "mugging" several years ago and got some wonderful photos of cowboys having fun. It was my first such event and I didn't know many of the folks participating. One of the images that resulted from that day was this very large painting of a cowboy who impressed me - not only with his capabilities, but also his demeanor with the other cowboys, his animals and his children who were with him. That painting went to a show in a New York gallery and has been on display in a number of different places. It has been hanging in my studio for several months now, and it's been odd how a number of people claim to recognize the cowboy.
Last Wednesday we were hosting a Bible study and one of the attendees saw the painting and declared "I know that feller. He's helped me with my cattle. Bary Clower is his name and he's a fine Christian man with a reputation for being true to his word". I instantly decided that Bary needed to own this painting so I asked Bill to get a hold of him, and tell him to come by my studio, but don't tell him why. Well, to make a long story not quite as long, Bary and his daughter, Courtney, came by last night and viewed his painting, declaring "That's me on Dunny". Over his protests, I gave him the painting and I hope to be able to get more images of this "real cowboy". There's not many of 'em left.
John 12:47
As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it.

2 comments:

Rick Nilson said...

For as long as we are likin' hamburgers we need cowboys!

Laurie Justus Pace said...

That is wonderful. Did you ever notice the painting has to go to the person it was painted for? Sometimes we paint with out knowing who we are painting for...What a blessing to share your work.

Laurie