Monday, January 19, 2009

Old Number 49

About This Painting:

All cattle people have a "favorite cow". She may not be the prettiest, but she always calves unaided, on time, and takes good care of her baby year after year. She deserves an award...a certificate of merit for being a good cow.

We had a cow like that over 27 years ago. Her name was simply "Red Cow". She was a milking shorthorn cross, and I milked her every morning. Then I would turn her out with her own calf and 2 "extra" calves that I bought from a dairy. I would separate her from her calves overnight so the routine could start again in the morning. We did this for several years - I could always count on her to not only supply milk to us, but raise her baby and any others that needed help. I remember that I could even milk her in the pasture, if I wanted to. My kids started out life drinking "raw" milk and were none the worse for it. Now we drink 1% milk that tastes like water, and whole milk tastes too "rich". Kinda funny that only 27 years ago is the "olden days"!

1 Peter 2:2
Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation,

Media: oil on gessoed masonite
Size: 6 in X 8 in (15.2 cm X 20.3 cm)
Price: $115 USD includes shipping and insurance

How to Purchase:

Buy this painting on PayPal
Price: $115 USD
Or, send me an email

No comments: