Friday, December 21, 2007

New York Barn






I am on vacation, so we are re-visiting some paintings I have alredy posted and SOLD.
Twice a week I spend the morning at a lady's house - in her bathroom, to be specific, where I am painting a fanciful mural on her walls. This bathroom is at least 300 square feet with 1o foot ceilings, so you can imagine the wall space I am dealing with. We started with an imaginary vine growing out of the air ducts and twining its way around, over and through the fixtures and light switches - and I have added various creatures that are common in this part of the world - and some not so common. I'll show you some of the results in the future.


This little painting could have been inspired just about anywhere - but I painted it after a trip last summer to upstate New York - the Fingers Lakes area to be exact. New York doesn't have the corner market on great barns, but it comes close! After I offered it for auction and it sold quickly, I discovered that a lot of people collect barn paintings. I should probably do more.

Luke 12:24 Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds!

These are part of the bathroom mural. The last one is the beginning of a roadrunner. Upper left is the actual size drawing I made first. Taped on the wall next to it is a reference photo. I painted the silhouette first and will come in with detailed colors next. Can you see the tile lizard in the baseboard? That's what the roadrunner is going after!

No comments: