Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Lonesome Dove



One of my favorite novels and made for TV movies has been Larry McMurtry's "Lonesome Dove". I cried and cried when Gus died - both when I read it and when I viewed the cinema rendition. The visuals from the movie are so inspiring painting-wise. I CANNOT WAIT to get to Montana again. We are going to Glacier National Park this July - not by horseback following a bunch of rangy longhorns, like Gus McCrea and Capt. Woodrow Call, but in an RV with all the luxuries. Still I can't help but imagine what it was like to do that trip on a horse, behind hundreds of cows kicking up dust, fearing constant attack from Indians and not knowing what lay over the next ridge.
This 9 X 12 painting was inspired by a scene in the movie. I can't tell you exactly when or where, but if you watch all 8 hours, you'll see it!
Luke 3:22 and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."

No comments: