Thursday, January 17, 2013

# 11 Heifer Calf Two Step


6X6 Oil on mounted canvas $100
Includes shipping and insurance US
I took some of my own advice when I painted this heifer. I used a larger-than-average flat brush and limited my palette, in an attempt to maintain color harmony.
Last night a friend from church called and reported "You said to let you know the next time I shot a pig. Well, I just did. Do you want it?" sigh
I am still not over this congestion virus/bacteria thing that is going around and my strength is really waning in the evening. I asked "How big?" and friend-with-a-pig said "About 50 pounds". I replied, "Sure, bring it over". I still needed to go out and feed the calves anyway, so I was not yet ready for bed.
What the heck. I have never dressed out a pig before (lots of deer, never pig). All the wild pig we have received have always been thoughtfully cleaned and already in a brining solution  - I have VERY nice friends and family!
While I waited, I prayed it wasn't one of those nasty prickly Russian boar/hog things that look like they are left over from an alien invasion movie.
Prayers were answered - it was a young female - 70 pounds. With a nice layer of fat, making me wish we had a reason for a luau! My Uncle Courtney smoked a whole pig once and I remember it was mouth watering.
I gutted and skinned it and put it in an ice chest to be packaged for the freezer later. I'll probably keep the rumps and tenderloin whole and grind up the rest. If the ribs aren't too shattered from the bullet, I may even cook them tomorrow.
The freezer is now officially full.
Deuteronomy 7:13
He will love you and bless you and increase your numbers. He will bless the fruit of your womb, the crops of your land—your grain, new wine and olive oil—the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks in the land he swore to your ancestors to give you.

If you are interested in this painting, click here to send me an email. I accept checks and Paypal. I can also arrange LAYAWAY. To view my latest paintings on Daily Painters go HERE. To view larger paintings, go to my Website HERE. To view a wealth of OTHER Texas Artists, enjoy THIS site!

No comments: